Monday, July 26, 2010

This is my Nightmare!

Talking about dreams isn't something I normally do, but I thought this was appropriate since almost every triathlete out there has had some variation of this same nightmare that I had 2 nights ago. It's actually not the first time I've had this nightmare.


It always starts the same.... I show up the morning of the race and everything falls apart from there. The race changes and the problems change but panic ensues, and it seems extremely real.
Before Ironman Couer d' Alene I had a dream that I was kicking some butt in the race and on pace to qualify for Kona, but somehow I forgot my timing chip at home. I kept going in the race, but realized with a mile to go that I didn't have my chip. So I hopped on my bike and rode back to Spokane to get it. By the time I got back I of course missed my qualifying slot and barely made it in before midnight.


The dream 2 nights ago was a little different and slightly more comical. It was centered around the Couer d' Alene Olympic triathlon. I showed up with plenty of time to spare in the morning, but for some reason I had to have a personal scavenger hunt to find my things. Well, by the time I got my bike, shoes, wetstuit and everything rounded up they were getting ready to start the first wave. I was hastily getting my wetsuit on when I saw everyone start. I finished up putting my wetsuit on and ran down to the lake. I was about 3 minutes behind, and they were getting ready to start the next wave. I dove in and swam after everyone just as they started the next wave.

So there I am swimming as fast I can with the other wave about to swallow me up when I feel something grab onto my leg. I kicked hard and kept swimming. Then the same thing grabbed my leg again. I stopeed swimming and turned around. This being a nightmare you would expect something like a shark or alligator. But that's not what it was. It was an old woman! I'm not talking a little old either. I mean she was old!! She had to have been about 80 years old. I yelled at her to "Let GO!" She would not let go. So what did I do? I started choking her and yelling "THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE!!". Not sure why I yelled that. It may have something to do with the fact that it was quoted (from "I Love You Man") about a million times on my trip to San Diego. Now, I in no way support choking an old woman, so don't think this is the way I normally act. You can't control your dreams though and that's what I did.

I somehow shook the old woman loose and finshed the swim about 4 minutes back on everyone (weird how everyone finishes together in my dreams). I ran to my bike, but somehow got lost. Somehow I ended up a mile away from transition with no bike and no idea where I was. The rest of the dream was filled with me watching the race pass me by and yelling "THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE!!" at everyone that passed me by.


I'm planning on rejoining the triathlon world this weeked with a mini triathlon in Medical Lake. It was one of the first races I did, so I feel like I should continue the streak. The following week (barring any setbacks) I'm planning on racing the very race causing me nightmares. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment