Sunday, February 27, 2011

Going too hard


We'll, I've decided that I really need to stop starting my blog posts with "It's been awhile". The problem is, it has been awhile. I'll throw out the obligatory I've been busy, and the truth is with a new baby I have been extremely busy! In fact I've been so busy I've completely changed the way I train. I'm now trying to get everything done at 5:00 am on weekdays. It was hard at first, but it is getting easier.

With that out of the way I'll get down to the reason for writing this. I'm injured.... again. It's the same problem I've been battling since pre Ironman Coeur d' Alene. My IT band has been teetering on the edge of stopping me from running for about 9 months now. I can feel the tightness in my hamstring and calf pretty much every run but, thats as far as it goes. About 3 weeks ago the pain made it into the lateral side of my knee once again and that meant stopping running completely. Not exactly where I want to be during my Boise 70.3 build, but it's too late now. How did I go from feeling okay running for a few months to not being able to run at all? Well thats where I show my stuborness (stupidity would be a better word).

I, like many triathletes seem to have an obsessive need to do more and do it faster than all my friends. For example, I'll have a 10 mile run planned, but check into Facebook before I head out and see that one of my friends went 13. Well, if they're going 13 I better go 13 right?. That in itself wouldn't be a huge deal, but I feel the need to still run the 13 at a pace that would probably have been too fast even for 10 miles. I feel pretty good the whole run and I nearly PR my half marathon race time. That's great but, no one cares how fast you ran on a Sunday in January. It's all about race day.
Most of the time the problems don't rear there ugly heads right after or during that specific workout. I feel like it's usually a compounding problem that is further aggravated by my 6 mile tempo run 2 days later. The next week I go out and do another 13 and I start to feel that familiar twinge in my knee. At that point I know I'm in trouble, because it always seems to happen 7 miles from home. So... I walk/jog home with my tail between my legs telling myself how stupid I am and fall into a day long depression.

The moral of the story is to stick to what you have planned and be careful with pacing. A lot of triathletes don't realize that you don't necessarily have break through workouts that propel you through your next race. For the most part it's the cumulative effects of training consistently that shows on race day. As many of us have learned you can't train consistently if you're always injured. From here on out I'm resolving myself to running my long runs at easy paces and saving the speed work for the shorter stuff. This seems like common sense, but we all need to here sometimes.

For the next few weeks I'm in the pool and on the trainer hoping that the time off wont set me back too far. If you see me running around the pool staring at the you on the treadmill longingly I apologize in advance.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you bounce back quick! Remember speed kills ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned one very important thing in training for Ironman. Listen to your body. It will only lie to you during the hard stuff not the endurance stuff. Keep your head up and make sure you recover fully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you recover quickly! I strongly recommend the Grid for stretching out those IT bands--and don't forget to stretch both sides really well. Hurts like hell but it works! I had IT band issues for a few years but haven't had any issues since I started stretching them on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete